The candidates’ performance was affected by the following shortcomings.
- non adherence to rubrics;
- lack of understanding of the demand of the questions;
- poor communication ;
- incomplete definition of some terms;
- poor knowledge of ionization energy;
- inability to sketch correct energy profile diagram for an endothermic reaction;
- inability to apply chemical concepts and principles to explain given observations;
- inability to use electron dots diagram to show the bonding in ammonium ion;
- poor understanding of equilibrium constant;
- inability to draw correct structural formulae and give corresponding IUPAC name;.
- poor mathematical/manipulative skills;
- illegible handwriting;
- inadequate preparation.
Some remedies that were suggested for improving candidates’ performances included tackling the issues of
- adhering to rubrics;
- writing legibly;
- improving their communication skills;
- familiarizing themselves with the examination syllabus and consulting texts books.