(1) The weaknesses associated with the performance of candidates include:
(a) non adherence to rubrics;
- lack of understanding of the demands of the questions;
- poor communication ;
- inability to write correct symbols of elements and formulae of compounds;
- inability to write structural formulae of organic compounds;
- inability to classify the given alkanols;
- lack of understanding of the IUPAC nomenclature;
- inability to write an expression for the equilibrium constant kp for the given equilibrium reaction;
- inadequate practical exposure.
These weaknesses were attributed to non-familiarization with the prescribed examination syllabus, lack of relevant textbooks and inadequate preparation.
(2) The following remedies were suggested to overcome the highlighted
weaknesses of candidates:
- adherence to rubrics;
- improving their communication skills;
familiarization with the examination syllabus