The weaknesses exhibited by candidates which affected their performance were as
- non adherence to rubrics;
- lack of understanding of the requirements of the questions;
- omission/wrong use of units;
- poor knowledge of averaging in titration;
- poor mathematical/manipulative skills;
- spelling mistakes;
- inability to assign correct charges on ions;
- poor knowledge of the use of organic reagents;
- failure to express numerical answers in appropriate number of significant figures;
- illegible handwriting;
- inadequate preparation for the examination.
The following remedies were suggested for overcoming the highlighted weaknesses.
- endeavour to read and adhere to given instructions.
- familiarize themselves with the examination syllabus and read textbooks.
- make adequate preparation for the examination.