This question was well attempted, however, they were short of giving appropriate explanation to the factors listed.
The expected answers to this question are:
Factors which Influence The Choice and Preparation of Food For The Family
1. Nutritional content:- foods should be well balanced to cater for all family members.
2. Variety: use a variety of foods and methods to make meals interesting.
3. Cost: combine proteins of high and low values to stretch the food budget.
4. Time of the year: make use of the foods in season/serve appropriate meals to suit the weather.
5. Number of people: cook enough to carter for all family members.
6. Occasion: serve appropriate dishes for the occasion.
7. Time available: prepare meals within the time available or make advance preparation.
8. Cooking facilities: choose and prepare dishes for which facilities are available.
9. Religion/culture: select and prepare dishes that are acceptable to the religion and culture.
10. Money available:- choose ingredients according to money available without compromising quality.
11. Taboos: forbidden foods should be avoided
12. Skills of the cook – choose methods the cook can handle.
13. Occupation:- this will determine the type of meal for the family e.g. the meal for a manual worker should be heavy.
14. Age of Family members:- the family with younger children will differ from those of children that have more appetite.
15. Foods in season:- it is good to purchase foods in season as they are cheaper and at their best.
16. Health of family members – the health status of family members must be considered and doctor’s instruction must be followed.
17. Tastes/likes and dislikes:- this must be considered to avoid waste
18. Time of the day:- the meal to be served must be suitable for time of the day e.g. breakfast, lunch, supper.