Most candidates that attempted this question could not adequately describe the surveyor's chain. The expected answers are:
- surveyor's chain is 100ft long - - - made of steel wires
- connected by a set of oval links
- links are marked by brass tags
- the brass tags are numbered 5,10,15,20 etc.
- inaccuracy of measurement as a result of bending of any of the steel wires
- sagging of chain during use
- any unnoticed obstacle along the line of chain
- limit to the area that could be conveniently surveyed using chain - broken grounds making chaining slow and difficult
- chains are difficult to carry about.