This question was attempted by many candidates the candidates performed poorly. In part (a) candidates could not correctly explain alcoholism, candidate defined alcoholism as excessive drinking of alcoholic (drunkenness) instead of defining alcohol as a persistent desire to drink alcohol or addiction to alcohol in which deprivation could cause withdrawal syndrome. In part (b) candidates could not list types of alcoholic beverages candidates listed coffee, cocoa and chocolate instead of beer, wine, gin, whisky brandy and palm wine. In part (c) the candidate could not state correctly effects of alcohol on the human body.
The expected answers were as follows:
- Alcoholism is a persistent desire to drink alcohol
- Addition to alcohol in which deprivation could cause withdrawal syndrome.
(b) Alcoholic beverages
- beer/named brand
- palm wine
(c) Negative effects of Alcohol on the human body
- depressant/CNS depressant
- excessive activities/aggressiveness/violence
- impair judgement
- cirrhosis of the liver
- inflammation of the nerve/brain damage
- decreases muscular control/improper body coordination