(1) The performance of candidates was affected by the following weaknesses:
- non adherence to rubrics;
- rampant spelling mistakes;
- poor mathematical/manipulative skills;
- inability to understand the demands of the questions;
- failure to express numerical answers in appropriate number of significant figures;
- omission/wrong use of units;
- lack of familiarity with common pieces of apparatus in the laboratory;
- inability to differentiate between theoretical knowledge and practical observations;
- inability to make correct observations and draw logical conclusions from given tests;
(2) The following remedies were however, suggested in order to overcoming these weaknesses.
- Candidates should prepare adequately for examination;
- candidates should familiarize themselves with common pieces of apparatus in the laboratory;
- Candidates should familiarise themselves with the examination syllabus.