The standard of the two alternative papers (A & B) compared favourably with each other and with those of the previous years. The marking schemes were quite adequate and clear.
The assessment objectives were to determine the level to which the candidates could
- set up simple experiments;
- follow carefully a given sequence of instructions;
- collect and analyze data;
- make deductions from the analysis;
- plot and interpret graphs;
- show understanding of the theories behind the experiments.
There was no significant difference in the performance of the candidates compared with that of last year. The candidates recorded a mean score of 26 with a standard deviation of 09.00 as against a mean score of 25 and a standard deviation
of 10.25 in 2008.