This question was not popular with candidates. In question 3(a)(i) candidates were unable to state what personality is. Candidates wrote frohel's development in answer to question (a)(ii). Candidates also mixed up phases of personality development as stages of mitosis, anaphase and telophase. In 3(c) candidates mixed up the contributions of Dr. Adeoye Lambo to mental health with WHO functions and frequency of mental health. The expected answers were as follows:
- The totality of physical; mental; emotional traits, which are unique to an individual.
Phases of personality development Infancy
- Old age
Attributes of a mentally healthy person
- Self acceptance
- Understands his limitations and short comings
Possesses ability to handle stress and setbacks
Tackles problems in a realistic manner
- Good sense of self worth
- Has a give and take attitude
- Able to form and keep relationships
Understands and accepts shortcoming of others
- Able to work both pleasurably and productively
P- sychosis/Schizophrenia, paranoia
Contributions of Dr. Adeoye Lambo to mental health
Produced evidence of frequency of mental disorders;
- Gave prominence to the role of cultural and social factors on mental health
Instituted the Aro Mental village to treat mental patients in an innovative way
Created a department of Psychiatry in the University ofIbadan medical school.
Developed a cultural specific curriculum for the teaching of psychiatry
Instituted the training of psychiatric nurses.