Most candidates were able to name the :
- most appropriate woodworking machines on which each of the given operation is performed;
- tools belonging to the given classes of tools.
However, they failed to state the:
- function of router and jig saw;
- safety devices used on circular saw and surface planer.
The expected response to question 1 is as given below:
1(a) Name of woodworking machines
- circular saw bench;
- wood turning lathe;
- spindle moulder, surface, circular saw;
- bandsaw, jig saw.
(b) Function of Portable Power tools
(i) Router – for cleaning shapes, cutting mouldings;
(ii) Jig saw – for cutting curves in thin stock.
(c) Name of tools
(i) woodwork bench, vice, cramps, bench hook, bench stop, mitre box;
(ii) chisels, saws, planes, gouges, scrapers
(iii) rule, try square, marking knife, pencil, pair of compasses, calipers
- mallet, hammer, screw driver, nail punch, brace
(d) Safety Devices
(i) circular saw: push stick, crown guard, riving knife, fence, mitre gauge
(ii) surface planer: push block, bridge guard, fence, back guard.