This question was fairly attempted by the candidates. In 9(a) (i and ii), many candidates could not define commodity board and state their functions.
In 9(b), most candidates were unable to list the activities involved in the distribution of agricultural produce.
However, in 9(c), majority of the candidates were able to state the merits of co-operative societies in the marketing of agricultural produce.
The expected answers include:
Meaning of commodity board:
Commodity board is a public agency set up by government with legal powers to control the marketing and at times the production of agricultural commodities.
Functions of commodity board:
- To secure the most favourable marketing arrangement for the purchase, storage and
evacuation of agricultural produce to the ports for export;
- To stabilize prices within each season and for a long period and to stabilize producers’ income;
- Provision of fund for the economic development of the area of export crop production;
- To provide funds for research in agriculture with the aim of safe guarding and
improving the quality of production and output;
- To supply produce to local processors for internal processing;
- To improve and simplify the process of marketing.